The University of Huddersfield commissioned us to create a fully accessible PowerPoint template to be used by multiple staff within the undergraduate team. This was something the client hadn’t done before.
The document needed to be compliant with the University’s brand guidelines and include pre-selected imagery from the client’s undergraduate image library.
The creative the University was currently using in undergraduate campaigns wasn’t visually accessible, so part of our job was to bring it in line with visual accessibility requirements.
We started off by making sure we understood which elements of the template would be fixed, and what parts of the content needed to be editable.
We then determined how many images were going to be included and which of those needed to be read out by a screen reader.
We considered the user experience, to make sure that we were only applying alt text to relevant visuals within the document - making sure that our alt text wasn’t distracting the user from the content of the presentations.
There were two specific images that needed to form part of the template, however, as they required alt text, they couldn’t be embedded within the template.
We made sure that we explained this clearly to the client, so they understood how to use the template effectively going forward.
We refreshed the overall creative using the undergraduate prospectus campaign creative collateral, creating an overall template that was accessible for our client to use.
We made sure we understood which elements of the template would be fixed and which would be editable.
We refreshed the overall creative, creating a template that was accessible for our client to use.
The client was so impressed with our accessibility expertise that we were approached to do some accessibility consultancy work for their undergraduate prospectus.
As this was the very first-time the client had used an accessible PowerPoint, they had several questions about using the template. We worked closely with them throughout the project, answering any questions they had along the way.
We also created a simple user guide, to make sure the client understood how to use the template going forward.